The Douglas Family Farms

The Douglas Farm House
The Douglas Barn

The William A. Douglas farm, Lot 76, R.R. Onondaga Twsp., Brant County, was purchased in 1866 from the Downey family and soon became well-known for its purebred shorthorn cattle and Leicester and Shropshire sheep. The present house was built in 1898 and the barn in 1902. The award-winning livestock has been sold to other breeders across North and South America after being exhibited at numerous fall fairs as well as the CNE and Royal Winter Fair. Wilson and May Douglas succeeded Mr. Douglas and have been followed by grandson Don and Lois B. Douglas, who raised two daughters, Dawna and Pam, to become the 4th generation to reside on this property.

The Wilson Douglas farm, Lot 75, R.R. Onondaga Twsp., Brant County was purchased in 1924 from the Walker family. Wilson and May lived here until they moved east to Spruce Lane Farm and the farm was taken over by son Gilbert and Doris J. Douglas who operated a mixed farming setup. In 1961 a successful hay and straw business was started and continued in partnership with son Don until 2013. At the present time the property is occupied by Dawna, her husband Aaron Ebert and their two children, Zachary and Alexis, making them the 5th generation to live here.

The Douglases have always been active at the Caledonia Fair. William was President of the Board in 1913-14, Wilson in 1946, Gilbert in 1965-66 and Don in 1985-86. May was Homecraft President in 1950-51, Doris in 1968-69, Beverly (Don's sister) in 1986-87, and Lois in 1992-93. Dawna and Pam are both members of the Fair Board and Zach is poised to join the junior volunteers this year. From 1906 until the end of the sheep competition in 2012, William, Wilson and Don were the only chairmen of the Sheep Committee.

Submitted by Don Douglas who was President of the Fair Board in 1985-86.

The Douglas Barn
The Douglas Barn
The Douglas Barn
The Douglas Barn

See more Family Farms

Join us at the 142nd Caledonia Fair as we celebrate the family farm!