In 1887 it all began with James Hewitt in the Township of Walpole who delivered milk produced from his Ayrshire herd, with a horse drawn democrat. He passed the farm onto another James (Jr.) who established the business at the corner of the Indian Line and Cheapside Road with his son Ivan. In 1937 Ivan took over the family farm, continuing to farm and serve the community of Hagersville. With the purchase of land closer to Hagersville in 1950 for a future dairy plan, the herd of Ayrshires were sold and replaced with Beef Cattle. Two years later in 1952 the farm was sold and Hewitt's Dairy, the new dairy plant, was build and operated by Ivan and his son Howard. In 1962 Howard and his wife Marie built the Dairy Bar north of Hagersville. Today in 2014 Hewitt's are still serving the community with their dairy products.
Submitted by Ruth Hewitt Zadanyi who joined the Fair Board in 1964.
Ruth is still an active member along with her daughters Patti Zadanyi, Nancy Rose and Janice Boyter. Her grandson Thomas Boyter joined the Board as a Jr. Member this year.